Saturday, January 29, 2005

Perfect people

Miami is such a weird city. It's just full of these perfect looking people (I assume that many have had a nip and a tuck here and there), who all seem to be wearing designer clothes and expensive handbags. South Beach especially is the place for young, single people. They are all out partying, dating, networking and looking fab.

I often felt like I was looking at my own past there. Seeing these high-flying, trendy 20-somethings, busy with the upkeep of their appearance and hoping to meet a nice guy or girl along the way. I felt a hint of nostalgia but also breathed a huge sigh of relief, as it reminded me how tiring my twenties were. Always trying to make a good impression, wanting to fit in (whilst also trying prove to the world how unique and "individual" I was), absorbed in my career & obsessed with being seen as "fun".

Now, my thirties are tiring too but mainly because I'm running after a two-year-old. I know that I'm not so much "fun" anymore and I definitely don't look as trendy and "with it" as I used to. But I'm so much happier, fulfilled and caring. I like myself so much better now. I'm blessed with a most amazing life partner, a delightful cheeky monkey of a child and a home in paradise. I honestly can't think of anything more fulfilling than that.

So when I saw all these "perfect" looking people, I didn't crumble like I would have done in the past. I just looked at them and smiled. Thankful for having experienced that part of life as well, yet even more thankful for having moved on from that.

Oh...And it's soooo good to be back home again.
<