Tuesday, April 26, 2005

National Shutdown in Belize

At 12 o'clock this afternoon the National Shutdown will begin. What that means exactly is unclear to me. What will be shutting down? Water? Electricity? Telephone? And how long for? I heard someone say on the radio that, if all services shut down for more than 3 days, a state of emergency has to be declared. If that happens, the House of Representatives has to dissolve???? Or something like that.

Who knows.....it's all a bit uncertain at the moment. All we can do is listen to the radio and be prepared for whatever. Lucky enough, we have batteries and can keep some electricity going for up to two days.

I tell you, this place is so strange at the moment. No one seems to know what's going on exactly. Anyway, I'll keep you informed as much as I can.
<