Monday, January 23, 2006

No baby yet....

Not much to report on as my attention has been on my growing belly and the coming baby. Got a bit of a scare last week when I got some strong contractions, all 5 minutes apart. I really thought that I was going in to labor. My doctor told me that we should try and keep the baby in a little longer, as we can't be sure how strong his lungs are at this stage. He suggested that I should try and stop the contractions for another 2 weeks. He gave me some pills to take if I thought that I was going into labor. Basically, here in Belize it's a little harder to deal with complications if there were to be any, so the doctors try to be on the safe side & avoid delivering babies that are more than 2 weeks immature.



I have to admit, I kind of panicked. I thought that the baby could show up any minute and realized that I didn't have much of a support team. Andy and Karen were meant to be the ones who'd stay with me during delivery, but the Dome was full and one of them would have to keep the business running at all times, so I'd probably only have one support person. Of course, we would need help with Lucas too and the plan was that John would come from San Ignacio to baby-sit him. Still, how long would it take him to get here? Would we be able to get hold of him? Etc.

Also, the doctor had told me to take it very easy for the coming weeks & I had no idea how to do that with Lucas running around me all day. So I basically begged my mum to get down here from Aruba immediatly. I needed some help. And lucky enough, her employers were understanding enough to let her go, even though they are short on staff. So my mum is here now until the end of the month and Miriam (my sister) is coming over on the 8th of February for a week. So now I just have to hope that the baby doesn't arrive between the 29th of Jan and the 8th of Feb.

I'm seeing my doctor again later today and will ask him if it's okay to allow the delivery to take place if it were to happen in the coming week. I would feel much better having my mum here for everything, you see? Wish me luck with it all.....



<