Thursday, August 03, 2006

Spoiled for choice

So it turns out that too much choice is not good for you. That’s apparently what recent studies have shown; the more choices people have in life, the unhappier they are in the long run. According to this study, people in countries that offer the most choices are unhappier than those in “less fortunate” countries

How could that be? Well, the researchers think that when you are presented with too many choices, you are generally less happy about the eventual choice that you’ve made, always wondering if something (or someone) out there may have been an even better choice.

People who are looking for “good enough” are happier than those looking for the perfect something or other (fill in the blank)

It's funny how overwhelmed I get with the choices these days in Europe or the States. My head now literally spins when I walk into a big store. So my strategy in England recently was to only look at a certain part of the store (especially in mega clothes stores like Topshop), decide what I like & buy it, without continuing my search. Did I find the best bargains, the most perfect top or best fitting jeans? Probably not. But I am truly happy with the goodies I brought back to Belize.

Along these same lines; Andy has been trying to tell me for years that you need to find happiness where ever you find yourself. The answer to your questions and your happiness is not “out there”, it is right in front of you, staring you in the face. Yet most of us overlook it, because we continue to believe that the grass is greener somewhere else.

I have always been guilty of this myself, feeling like I was looking for something and never really finding it. But these days I feel very content. As tacky as it may sound, I feel like I am finally "home". Does this mean that I am slowly becoming more “Zen” like my husband?

“Try not to see your glass as half full or half empty. Just be happy that you have a glass”
<